Sunday, February 6, 2011

Incorporating Ikebana...

    As some of you know, I'm putting on a show in the Bates Gallery with Hiromi (a painting grad who works in eastern styles) at the end of this semester. The idea is to intertwine eastern and western approaches to art. She will be making paintings in traditional eastern styles that focus on a personal east/west confrontation, and I will be making sculptures that function as Ikebana vases, thus approaching a very traditional eastern art from a western background.

    I wanted to share a link about Ikebana for those of you who are less familiar so you will know where I'm coming from with much of my work this semester. Here is a link to a good rundown on the subject. I recommend you do a google images search on Ikebana as well, there are some beautiful works out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment