Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Balancing Act

    I am beginning to feel that everything in my life is a balancing act, but for now I'll just talk about my work. After having clarified (for me) the focal points in my work last week, I have been talking to people about such, and have realized how easily my work could be read in other ways.

    This has not deterred me from my focus, but has made me ask questions regarding the importance of others viewing my work. Just how important is it to me that others "get" what I'm doing? If they read it another way should I alter my plans to accommodate their views? Do I make art for me, or for everyone else? I don't have easy answers for these questions, as I believe that most of the time the truth lies in the grey area between the two possibilities. I do know that until I have worked through some of the ideas I have, I will be making my art for the pursuit of those ideas. Until I'm satisfied with that progress I guess I only marginally care what anyone else thinks. There is something there, something important to me. Maybe it has been said before, maybe it isn't worth being said at all to some people, but for whatever reason, I need to say it.

    I feel that there are many things to balance within each piece, and marvel that such trouble can come from so little clay. I guess they don't stem from the clay so much as from me... the clay does what it always does, take whatever form I give it - and show me what I'm made of.

2 comments:

  1. "the clay does what it always does, take whatever form I give it - and show me what I'm made of...."

    I like this part of what you said. So much anxiety to be an artist...some how for me those moments of uncertanity is the best times for creating. I am always so amazed that in the times when we are pushed how resilient we as artists are. Personally I like pushing back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think art is very personal and what you make should always be for yourself. The viewer is always going to bring their own personal experience to the work, which may or may not alter the meaning that you wish for your woork to have. TThat being said, I think the viewer's response to your work depends on why you are making the work itself. Are you making it for the sake of making an objet to be admired or invoke an emotional response? Or are you trying to communicate a message? The answers to these questions will help decide whether the viewer needs to get your work. If your goal is to communicate a specific message and no one is getting it, then I think it is important to reevaluate your work and how you could communicate to the viewer more effectively.

    ReplyDelete