Sunday, April 3, 2011

NCECA and facing myself.

I am really glad I went on this trip to NCECA. In addition to enjoying a little sun for a change, I got to see a lot of great ceramics, and hear a couple of lectures.

There is one thing that jumped out at me this trip. I suck at finishing work. Like, REALLY, REALLY, SUCK! Looking at all the great pieces on display, I was struck by all the different and great finishes people had on their work. At first this really got me down a bit, what was I doing in grad school? How could my work ever compete? Now however, I feel energized to do something about it. Sadly, the rest of this semester will be largely devoted to finishing work for my show, so there wont be time for a lot of testing. Over the summer however, I vow to find and execute better ways to finish my pieces.

2 comments:

  1. And if by the time I leave there aren't more tests than I have... I'm breaking everything in your studio...good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Garrett! Go Garrett! Go! Go! Go Garrett!

    ReplyDelete